Clumsy and chaotic recipes from a not-so-graceful baker.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Easy Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

I also made this pie for the cabin weekend retreat. Only problem was that when I reheated it, the crust wasn't as crispy/flakey as when I first baked it.. If you are going to bake this then reheat it, I recommend baking it for a few minutes longer, and letting it cool completely before freezing. If you follow those steps (I cut corners I'll admit) then it should be just as good as when it first comes out. Or just avoid all this and indulge right after you bake! Despite my reheating problems, the pie was devoured before I got a chance to snap a pic...


1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
3 cup rhubarb, cut into 1/2" pieces
2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1 tbsp. butter
Store-bought Pastry for double crust pie

In large mixing bowl stir together sugar, cornstarch, salt and ground nutmeg. Add rhubarb pieces and sliced strawberries, toss gently to coat fruit. Let stand for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare and roll out pastry. Line a 9 inch pie plate with half of the pastry. Trim pastry to edge of pie plate. Pour fruit mixture into pie plate. Dot with butter, place pastry on top of filling. Cut slits in top to allow steam to escape; seal and flute edge. Bake at 350°F for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment